Chocolate Butterfly Cakes are a firm favourite in our home. The recipe came from cooking with my mum using our old edition BERO cookbook. The recipe uses ingredients that you are likely to have in your store cupboards. These Chocolate Butterfly cakes are so easy to make but probably won’t hang around for long.
Why not give them a try and see if your family love them too
Chocolate Butterfly cakes
100g margarine (4oz )
100 g caster sugar (4oz)
100g Self-raising flour (4oz)
25g Cocoa Powder (1oz)
Method for cakes
- Cream the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour and Cocoa Powder together.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Adding a little flour mix with every addition.
- Half fill paper cases with the mixture.
- Bake at 190 degrees c 375 degrees f Gas mark 5 for about 20 mins, until firm.
- Allow cooling on a wire tray or rack.
- When cold, cut a small circle in the top and slice this in half to create the Butterfly wings.
- Fill with a small dollop of buttercream – see recipe below and arrange wings on top. Followed by a dusting of icing sugar.
Ingredients’ for Buttercream icing
50g butter or margarine
100g sieved icing sugar
50g Cocoa Powder
Method for Buttercream icing
- Cream the fat together, gradually adding the icing sugar.
- Add the Cocoa Powder and mix until combined.
- Fill the top of the butterfly cake with a small amount of buttercream icing.