Coffee Cake is the perfect recipe to bake for Fathers Day. If your struggling to find that perfect gift or the kids want to get involved, then this could be a great solution. There are few ingredients and most of them you should find in your store cupboard or larder.
You don’t have to be the world best baker as long as you follow the simple steps of the recipe, all should be well. All fathers love handmade gifts so what better way to show them how much you love and appreciate than by baking a tasty treat.
Ingredients for Coffee Cake
170g Butter or margarine plus a little for greasing.
170g Caster Sugar
3 large Eggs
170g Self-raising flour
1 tbsp cooled instant coffee dissolved in 1tbsp hot water.
For the Icing
225g Icing Sugar
100g Butter or margarine
1 1/2 tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 1tbsp hot water.
method for Coffee Cake recipe
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees /160 degrees fan. Line and butter two 18cm sandwich tins.
- Using your Kitchenaid Mixer cream together the sugar and butter until pale and fluffy.
- Gradually add the whisked eggs to the mixture along with a little flour with each addition.
- Fold in any remaining flour.
- Add the dissolved coffee to the mixture and fold in until combined.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake for 25-30 minutes. Use a skewer to check that the cakes are fully baked.
- Turn onto a cooling tray and allow it to completely cool.
- Make the icing by beating the Icing Sugar with the butter until light and fluffy. Add the dissolved coffee mix and stir until combined.
- Whisk ingredients until lights and fluffy.
- Spread half the icing and sandwich the cakes together. Use the remaining icing on the top and decorate with walnuts (optional) or glace cherries if you prefer.