Mothers Day doesn’t have to be about expensive gifts, it can equally be a thoughtful gift. And what mum wouldn’t want to be pampered with an Afternoon Tea.
We all appreciate that since the pandemic money has been a little tight! So why not get creative and bake a lovely afternoon tea for that special female in your life.
As any mum will tell you, the careful thoughts out gifts that have meaning, are the most special to us. Any mum wants to feel appreciated and that is why it’s important to celebrate this special day.
Afternoon tea is such a simple treat to create and with just a few ingredients you really can make something special.
Ingredients for Mothers Day Afternoon Tea
Ingredients for Scones
200g (8oz) Self Raising Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
50g (2oz) Margarine or Butter
25g (1oz) Sugar
50g (2oz ) Currants or Sultanas
1 egg beaten with a little milk
Cream – whipped or Clotted.
Tea or Coffee
4 slices of bread to make sandwiches
Sandwich filling of choice – Egg, Tuna, Prawn, Salmon, ham (whatever mum will like)
Small Chocolates like Ferrero Rocher, Lindt
A small selection of Crisps
Daffodils or a small bunch of flowers
Large Plate, Small box or Tray to display Afternoon Tea
Method for Making Scones
- Mix flour & salt and rub in the margarine.
- Stir in the sugar and fruit.
- Add the egg and Milk (hold back a small amount to wash over the tops of the scones)
- Knead lightly or use a Kitchenaid dough hook to combine.
- Roll out to just over 1cm thickness.
- Cut into 7cm rounds using a cutter or a glass if none available.
- Place on a greased baking tray and brush with the remaining egg/milk wash.
- Bake in the oven 220 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Once cooked allow to cool on a wire rack.
Whilst the Scones are cooling make up the sandwiches and cut neatly trimming off any crusts. Arrange on a platter, or tray along with a handful of strawberries, crisps and the small chocolates. Add a couple of scones along with a pot of Jam and Cream. Make up a pot of tea or coffee and add it to the tray. Finally, pop the small bunch of flowers in a vase or clean jam jar and your Mothers Day Afternoon is ready to be delivered.