This Old School Cake Recipe reminds me of my childhood and was a favourite of mine when I was at school. With the soft vanilla sponge, white icing and rainbow sprinkle’s easy to see why this is still a firm favourite with many and my children feel the same.
It’s very easy to make and has a few ingredients most of which you will probably have in your pantry or store cupboard. In the holidays the children always request that I make this traybake as it is the perfect afternoon treat.
If you have never tried this Old School Cake Recipe or remember having it as a child at school then why not bake this yourself.
Ingredients for Old School Cake Recipe
225g Unsalted Butter
225g Golden caster Sugar
1tsp Vanilla extract
250g Self Raising Flour
1tsp baking powder
225g Icing Sugar
1/2tsp Vanilla Extract
Hundreds & thousands of sprinkles
Method for Old School Cake Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Grease and line a rectangular sandwich tin, leaving an overhang of greaseproof paper (this will help when removing from the tin)
- With your Kitchenaid mixer cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and the eggs, then gently fold in the flour, salt and baking powder. Stir in the milk until all the ingredients are combined.
- Transfer the ingredients to the sandwich tin and ensure the contents are level. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Once the tin has cooled down, remove the cake using the overhang of greaseproof paper.
- For the topping, sift the icing sugar into a clean mixer bowl. Add the vanilla and milk and whisk into a smooth consistency. If the mixture is too stiff add a little more milk and if it’s too loose as a little more icing sugar.
- Drizzle the icing over the cooled cake base, using the back of a spoon to smooth it out.
- Sprinkle with the 100’s & 1000’s and allow to set.
- Cut into squares and serve.