Nice food has become a comfort as well as a welcome treat during this pandemic. When you aren’t able to eat out, pop to the pub or even visit the local coffee shop. It’s nice to enjoy a chocolaty treat which you can make at home and this simple Chocolate Cake recipe is perfect.
Sadly I’m no Nigella but this Chocolate Cake recipe is tried and tested so any non-baker could easily pull it off .. it has very few ingredients. Most of which you will probably have in your store cupboard.
Plus the kids will be happy to help if you need an extra pair of hands.
Decoration could be Easter themed with some chocolate mini eggs or maybe you prefer chocolate shavings for an indulgent finish.
Chocolate Cake Ingredients
225g Butter, softened plus extra for greasing
225g Caster Sugar
4 large Eggs
100g Self-Raising Flour
1tsp baking Powder
2tbsp Cocoa Powder
Splash of Milk
250g Dark Chocolate
250g Butter, softened
175g Icing Sugar
Method to make the Chocolate Cake
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease 2 x 20 cm sandwich Tins with butter and line with Greaseproof paper.
- In a bowl beat together the butter and sugar either by hand or with your Kitchenaid Mixer, until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs, beating after every addition.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa and lightly fold into the mixture.
- Add a splash of milk to the mixture and stir gently.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in the Oven. To check whether the cake is baked, insert a skewer and if it comes out clean then the cake is ready.
- Leave to cool in the tin and then turn on a cooling wire.
Method to make the Icing
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water or gently for a few seconds in the microwave.
- In a separate bowl beat the butter with the icing sugar until light and fluffy, then add the melted chocolate and stir.
- Spread some icing between the two cakes and sandwich them together. Use the remaining icing to spread over the top and decorate with Mini eggs or Chocolate shavings.