Slow-cooked Ratatouille is a perfect way to have your 5 a day. It’s not only tasty but it’s also versatile as you can team it up with meat, fish or grains.
As a nation, we eat with our eyes and I find this is particularly true with children. If a plate looks colourful and interesting then they are more likely to eat it. The ingredients in this slow-cooked Ratatouille are very vibrant in colour so look tasty on the plate.
However, for me, the beauty is that this recipe can be thrown in the slow cooker and you can leave it to do its magic. This is ideal if you are short on time but still want to provide a nutritious meal for your family.
Ingredients for Slow-Cooked Ratatouille.
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Red Onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves
2 x Large Aubergines, cubed
3 x Courgettes, chopped into small chunks
3 x Mixed Peppers, de-seeded and chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree
6 x large ripe tomatoes, chopped in small chunks
400g Canned Peeled Plum Tomatoes
1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
1tsp Brown Sugar
Method for Slow-Cooked Ratatouille
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook to soften until translucent in colour.
- Next, add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute
- Then the Aubergine and cook until golden brown. Roughly 5 minutes
- Add the courgettes and the mixed chopped peppers and cook for 5 minutes.
- Next, add the fresh tomatoes, tomato puree, tinned tomatoes, herbs, vinegar and brown sugar. Bring to the boil.
- Transfer all the ingredients to the slow cooker and cook for 5-6 hours on high.
- Serve with crusty bread or your choice of side dish.
Should there be any leftovers, these can be stored in the fridge for five days.