Wimbledon Strawberry & Cream Cupcakes are the perfect bake for any Wimbledon themed family party. Wimbledon kicks off on the 28th of June and usually, British temperatures soar, so perfectly timed for a garden party get together. (Socially distanced and within guidelines of course)
The recipe is perfect for any novice baker and with very few ingredients most likely to be found in your store cupboards.
Prep time is just 30 minutes and the same for cooking so you can rustle these up on the day or the day before if your short on time.
Ingredients For Wimbledon Strawberry & Cream Cupcakes
- 200g/7oz unsalted butter softened
- 200g/7oz caster sugar
- 4 free-range eggs
- 200g/7oz self-raising flour
- 4 tbsp good-quality strawberry jam
- 250ml/9fl oz lightly whipped double cream
- 250g/9oz strawberries, hulled
- icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Line two 12-hole muffin trays with paper cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar together, preferably using your trusty KitchenAid mixer or electric whisk. (This can take 5-7 minutes, so this stage should not be rushed.)
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well combined. (If the mixture looks like it is curdling add a spoonful of the flour.) Fold in the remaining flour with a metal spoon until you have a soft, smooth mixture.
- Pipe or spoon the mixture into the paper cases until half full, add half a teaspoon of jam and then cover with the remaining cake mixture. The finished cake case should be about three-quarters full. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the cakes are pale golden-brown and spring back when pressed gently with a finger. Remove the cakes from the oven and set them aside to cool on a wire rack.
- Using a small knife make a well on the top of each cake by removing a disk of cake. Fill this well with whipped Cream and top with a Strawberry. Serve with a generous dusting of icing sugar.